5 Steps for Filing a Water Damage Claim
Effects from storms can be devastating. Water damage in Watertown, NY, can be difficult to recover from, but filing an insurance claim may help. Here are five steps to take in the process:
1. Review your policy. After a storm, make sure you review your policy regarding what is covered under your insurance. This might not answer all the questions you have, but it may give you a starting point.
2. Call your insurance provider. Always phone your insurance provider right away to ask any additional questions you might have. Is this covered? How does one file an insurance claim? How long will it take to process? Please don’t be shy about asking questions. Your insurance specialist is there to help you through this.
3. Photograph the damage. One thing insurance adjusters may ask for is photographic evidence of any results from the storm. You might be required to submit photos as part of the process.
3. Fill out forms. If you need to file a claim, your insurance company will send you forms within a specified time frame. Filling these out and returning them in a timely manner can help avoid delays.
4. Prepare for the visit. After the paperwork is filed, an insurance adjuster may need to see the damage. Have a list of all items lost or broken ready to show the inspector. You may also want to have a list of where all the damage from the flood or pipe burst is in order to make things easier.
5. Make repairs. Some damages may be too severe for you to handle alone, but if possible, make temporary repairs to prevent further incidents from occurring. For example, a pipe burst can be temporarily fixed to stop more damage until a professional can see to it.
Returning your home to normal after water damage involves more than just drying everything out or filing an insurance claim. When you contact restoration specialists for help in Watertown, NY, you know everything will be expertly taken care of as the cleanup and repairs are completed. For more information, visit http://www.SERVPROjeffersoncounty.com/.